This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0521 / 52°3'7"N
Longitude: -1.7763 / 1°46'34"W
OS Eastings: 415437
OS Northings: 239324
OS Grid: SP154393
Mapcode National: GBR 4NG.7RP
Mapcode Global: VHB13.5P97
Entry Name: West Banquetting House to Old Campden House
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 8 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126117
Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Chipping Campden
Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
5224 CHURCH STREET
West Banquetting House
to Old Campden House
(formerly listed as West
Pavilion to Old Campden
SP 1539 SW 9/68 25.8.60
Circa 1627. Built by Sir Baptist Hicks. Rubble with ashlar dressings and Cotswold
stone roof. One of a pair of pavilions at each end of the great terrace, thus it
is single storey on the terrace front but with a large undercroft revealed on the
other side. The terrace front has a blocked arcade with a small later doorway.
Eleborate pierced parapet. Barley sugar chimneys 2 on the north gable, 3 on the south.
The other elevation has a central projection and 2 attic gables with 2 light stone
mullioned windows. Interior retains fragments of plasterwork and panelling. Plaster-
work includes high quality relief frieze. Wagon-roof structure intact. Unusual
mezanine chamber to rear, very small with fireplace and mysterious access. This
elaborate garden house must reflect the quality of the destroyed mansion.
Listing NGR: SP1543739324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings