This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9106 / 51°54'38"N
Longitude: -2.3206 / 2°19'14"W
OS Eastings: 378040
OS Northings: 223614
OS Grid: SO780236
Mapcode National: GBR 0J5.248
Mapcode Global: VH943.Q7JN
Entry Name: Farm Store at Hartpury Court, Between House and Parish Church
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125588
Location: Hartpury, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Hartpury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hartpury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 SE HARTPURY MURRELLS END ROAD
8/56 Farm Store at Hartpury Court,
between house and parish church
(formerly listed as Catholic Chapel)
Former Roman Catholic Chapel and adjoining Cottage, now farm store.
1830 for R. Canning. Coursed, squared lias stone, slate roof,
cottage brick. 4-window chapel, with 2-window cottage on half
back; cottage 2 storeys. Chapel parallel to road: 4 semi-circular
headed windows,stone voussoirs, leaded lights with coloured glass.
Centre 2 windows now shortened at foot, for double, sliding doors
to late C20 entry replacing central porch. Low-pitch roof, parapet
gables, plain cross on left apex, short chimney on right.
Internally, chapel oriented North-South, with main altar at north
end. Ceiling plastered, 2 of 3 roses remain: heavy cornice (some
plaster fallen). Only beam of south gallery remains, with brick
pilasters at ends (originally 2 Ionic columns in centre). Outline
of stairs to gallery on East wall; 6-panelled door originally
providing access to first floor of Court in corner, before Hartpury
Court rebuilt. Walls plastered, green dado, stepping up for
sanctuary. 6-panelled door from sanctuary to cottage. Rear wing
central door with plain 2-pane fanlight over, giving onto stairs:
blocked door and 2-light timber casement, cambered-brick arch on
right. On left front wall removed on ground floor, and stone-
walled leanto added to form garage. First floor 2 four-pane sashes,
brick-arch head. Gable chimneys, projects slightly on left. Chapel
built by Cannings of Hartpury House (q.v.) for nuns then living at
Hartpury Court (q.v.) Services ceased during or soon after Second
World War. Listed mainly for historical interest. (Kelly,
Gloucestershire Directory, 1870, 1897, 1910. Notes at Hartpury
Primary School by Miss Davies; photograph of interior, 1936).
Listing NGR: SO7804423614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings