This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4944 / 51°29'39"N
Longitude: 0.0737 / 0°4'25"E
OS Eastings: 544049
OS Northings: 179312
OS Grid: TQ440793
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.K7K
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.7P9R
Entry Name: Royal Arsenal the Grand Store West and South Ranges Buildings 36 37 and 46 royal Arsenal the Grand Store, E Range (Building 49)
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Last Amended: 9 July 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1078958
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200493
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
786-/9/52 Royal Arsenal
The Grand Store, W and S
08/06/73 ranges (Buildings 36, 37
Store, disused. 1808-13, attributed to James and Lewis Wyatt. Brick with Purbeck limestone dressings, timber internal construction, and late C20 corrugated sheet roof, originally slated. PLAN: Single-depth plan forming E range of 3-sided quadrangle.
EXTERIOR: Late Georgian style. 2 storeys; 15-window range. Symmetrical front and rear elevations have projecting central pedimented 3-window section, vermiculated plinth, clasping pilasters with fluted capitals and a moulded eaves cornice. Centre has giant pilasters and a central round-arched doorway; rubbed brick heads to round-arched ground-floor recesses with matching windows and segmental-arched first-floor windows, to 12/8-pane sashes. 3-window ends, that to the N has a rusticated ashlar porch with round archways to large double panelled doors, the S end has a plain surround to first-floor double doors. Late C19 wall crane on the E side.
INTERIOR not inspected, but reported to have timber posts with pillows and a queen post roof.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Formerly connected to the S range (qv) by a carriageway, demolished 1888. Part of a much enlarged store for the Arsenal and a general depot for the Army and Navy, with now largely demolished quadrangles to E and W. Although conservative in eschewing current interest in fire-proof iron construction, and prone from early on to severe structural problems, the Grand Store is architecturally one of the most distinguished of the large late C18 and early C19 warehouses erected in both naval and civil docks.
Listing NGR: TQ4404979312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings