This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4453 / 51°26'43"N
Longitude: 0.3304 / 0°19'49"E
OS Eastings: 562044
OS Northings: 174391
OS Grid: TQ620743
Mapcode National: GBR YV.PZ5
Mapcode Global: VHHNW.PX1W
Entry Name: The Factory Club
Listing Date: 26 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1081091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356846
Location: Gravesham, Kent, DA11
Electoral Ward/Division: Northfleet North
Built-Up Area: Northfleet
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Northfleet and Rosherville
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 67 SW NORTHFLEET HIGH STREET
The Factory Club
Built in 1878 to designs by Parr and Strong for Bevan's cement (Pyramid Brand) as a
recreational hall and rooms for the workers (still used as such by Blue Circle).
It comprises brick-built basement, double height ground floor and attic with added
classical decoration and slate roofs.
Recessed centre section containing 5 tall round-headed windows and tower-like end
sections containing doors which are reached from the pavement by bridges across the
area. The end sections have corners decorated with Corinthian pilasters and rise to
French-Chateau-type steep pitched roofs containing dormer windows, topped by
decorative coast-iron railings. The whole roof lies behind a tall, elaborately
decorated parapet with a central coat of arms. Building retains skilful, relatively
early examples of Portland cement decoration.
Listing NGR: TQ6473774278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings