This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6838 / 53°41'1"N
Longitude: -0.4347 / 0°26'4"W
OS Eastings: 503478
OS Northings: 421950
OS Grid: TA034219
Mapcode National: GBR TTDV.P6
Mapcode Global: WHGFX.9N8T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1083103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165516
Location: Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire, DN18
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Barton-upon-Humber
Built-Up Area: Barton-upon-Humber
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barton on Humber St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 0321 BARTON UPON HUMBER BECK HILL
Church of St Peter
Two churches joined lengthways. On west, Saxon C9 nave, C10 tower. One of the
earliest and most interesting remains of Saxon architecture, showing pilaster
strip work and long and short work on the tower. Saxon chancel demolished to
make way for church to east of Saxon tower. See E.A. Fisher, An Introduction
to Saxon Architecture, (London, 1959). Mediaeval church has nave, aisles, chancel.
Fine clerestory circa 1430, C15 rood screen restored 1898. East window C13 glass of St George and St James. North aisle east rood window of circa 1430.
Chancel effigy, C15 and late C16 and early C19 wall monuments.
The Church of St Peter, the churchyard cross and wall and The Vicarage form a
group with Tyrwhitt Hall.
Listing NGR: TA0347821949
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings