This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8382 / 53°50'17"N
Longitude: -0.4271 / 0°25'37"W
OS Eastings: 503598
OS Northings: 439138
OS Grid: TA035391
Mapcode National: GBR TSG1.BV
Mapcode Global: WHGF4.DSVG
Entry Name: Ann Rouths Almhouses
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Last Amended: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1084044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 167221
Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Beverley
Built-Up Area: Beverley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Beverley Minster St John and St Martin
Church of England Diocese: York
In the entry for:
10/121 No 28 (Ann Routh's
"Firemark of the Sun Assurance company. National Monument Register Photograph"
shall be added at the end of the description.
TA 0339 BEVERLEY KELDGATE
10/121 No 28 (Ann Routh's
Circa 1749, designed by James Moyser and built by Thomas Wrightson. 2 storeys
in red brick. Elevation to Keldgate has 3 bays divided by pilasters with stone
caps and projecting bases. The pilasters support semi-circular gauged arches.
1st floor has 3 segmental-headed windows, ground floor 2 windows and centre door-
way with plain stone architrave, 4-panel door and fanlight. All windows have
gauged heads and stone cills. Moulded stone eaves cornice over which is a pedi-
ment full width of the elevation with similar raked cornices. In the
tympanum is a very fine Rococo cartouche of arms, coloured, its frame formed
by cornucopia, c-scrolls and palm leaves. This rests on a tablet inscribed
'This hospital was built in the year 1749 by the Mayor and Aldermen of the Town
according to the will of the late Ann Routh Moore, late of this Town, to whom
her first husband Mr Chris Moore leaving a sum of £100 a year with which she
endowed this hospital for the maintenance of 12 poor old women of the parishes
of St John and St Martin's in the Town frequenting the Church'. Staircase with
closed string, symmetrically turned vase-shaped balusters, plain newels, and
simply moulded handrail. (Apparently rebuilt to the original design in the
Listing NGR: TA0359839138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings