This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2772 / 51°16'37"N
Longitude: 1.0777 / 1°4'39"E
OS Eastings: 614749
OS Northings: 157612
OS Grid: TR147576
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.WV9
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.M5L8
Entry Name: Lullingstone House
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170492
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 CASTLE STREET
(South East Side)
TR l457 NE 4/205 3.12.49.
Probably a C17 timber-framed building refaced in the early C18. It was the
house of Sumner (1606-1669) the historian and compiler of the first Anglo-Saxon
Dictionary. 2 storeys and basement stuccoed. 3 dormers. Parapet with coping
and wide modillion cornice. Overhang. 3 sash windows set in moulded architraves
with cast iron balconettes. Plinth. Central doorcase has 2 Tuscan half columns
keystone, semi- circular fanlight with reeded frieze underneath and 6 fielded panelled
door. 3 steps. The rear elevation has a mansard roof with 4 dormers, The
interior has an C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and curved
tread ends. Traces of panelling on ground floor.
Nos 1 to 9 (consec) and Nos 12 to 24 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1475057611
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings