This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2813 / 51°16'52"N
Longitude: 1.0796 / 1°4'46"E
OS Eastings: 614862
OS Northings: 158076
OS Grid: TR148580
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.PR5
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.N2L3
Entry Name: The Former Blackfriars Monastery
Listing Date: 3 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170393
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Canterbury
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 BLACKFRIARS STREET
The former Blackfriars
TK 1458 SE 2/91 3.12.49.
C13 and later. 2 storeys flint faced with stone quoins. Restored tiled
roof, Windows on the first floor are 4 double lancets with quatrefoil heads.
Stone cills, The ground floor has mostly restored mullions. Porch with
steps built on to first floor. Doors are 4 centred arches. The left side
has an extension of 2 storeys in red brick of 1763 to 1764 on a stone base.
Round-headed or plain casements having leaded lights C18 6 Panelled door.
The ground floor has an undercroft with stone octagonal-sided columns and
brick diagonal ribbed vaulting. Stone floor. Traces of timber framing within
the red brick extension.
Forms a group with wall on right side of Blackfriars Monastery and
the Monastery Guest House, St Peter's Lane.
Listing NGR: TR1488958066
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings