This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2957 / 51°17'44"N
Longitude: 1.1262 / 1°7'34"E
OS Eastings: 618047
OS Northings: 159814
OS Grid: TR180598
Mapcode National: GBR TXY.PK4
Mapcode Global: VHLGG.GPRL
Entry Name: The Crane House the Stocks Outside the Town Hall the Town Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Last Amended: 14 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171149
Location: Fordwich, Canterbury, Kent, CT2
Civil Parish: Fordwich
Built-Up Area: Sturry
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2012
TR 1859 27/225
The Town Hall and
The Crane House, with
the stocks outside the
Fordwich is associated with the Cinque Ports as a limb of Sandwich and was
a Corporation by prescription until it was deprived of its municipal status
by the Municipal Corporations Act 1883. The Town Hall comprised a storeroom
and prison on the ground floor and the court room and jury room over. It is
probably an early C15 building, and there is evidence that it was extensively
repaired in 1474. Timber framed building, the ground floor rebuilt in brick,
stone rubble and flints. The first floor is close studded with herringbone
brick nagging on the east and south sides and plaster infilling on the west
side, all three oversailing on a moulded bressumer and brackets with a red
brick buttress giving support at the south east corner. Steeply-pitched hipped
tile roof. Casement windows of four lights with 4-centred heads, wooden mullions,
diamond-shaped leaded panes and old green glass. Two storeys, One window
each facing east, south and north. The tiny prison on the ground floor retains
its bed, while the wooden stocks are placed in the forecourt to the south.
The court room above also has its original fittings and a crownpost roof.
To the north is an addition of tarred weatherboarding with a tiled roof. This
was the Crane House. The north gable end facing the river Stour is jettied.
At the north east angle is a swinging post with a cross-piece like a gallows,
from which a large hook is suspended for the raising and lowering of goods.
Listing NGR: TR1804759814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings