This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2444 / 51°14'40"N
Longitude: 1.0005 / 1°0'1"E
OS Eastings: 609520
OS Northings: 153752
OS Grid: TR095537
Mapcode National: GBR SX1.V3C
Mapcode Global: VHKK4.9Z9D
Entry Name: Mystole House south Mystole west Wing
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Last Amended: 14 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171080
Location: Chartham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Civil Parish: Chartham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 CHARTHAM MYSTOLE
South Mystole and
(formerly listed as
Mystole House and
TR 05 SE 11/257 29.9.52.
This mansion originally called Mystole House was built by Charles Fagge in
the early C18 on the site of a C16 house built by John Bungey Prebendary of
Christ Church Canterbury. Its principal front faces north. This is of two
storeys, attics and cellars. Red brick. Hipped tiled roof with wooden modillion
eaves cornice. Nine sashes with glazing bars intact. The centre portion of
three windows projects with a pediment over in which the modillions have consoles
below them and an attic window in the tympanum with a curved brick pediment
over this window. Central doorcase with fluted Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze,
pediment and semi-circular fanlight. Ground floor addition of two windows
at west end with parapet over having a ball capital at its outer angle and
a round-headed doorway with door of six fielded panels. The east front in
1895 was altered by Sir R Blomfield and now has six windows and five pedimented
dormers, but originally had only three windows and two dormers. Modern bay
window added at north end on ground and first floors. In the centre is a modern
projection with a large attic storey. To the south of this is a further modern
addition matching the original portion plus its modern bay. At the west of
the building are service portions which are probably C17, known as West Wing.
The interior contains some panelling and marble fireplaces.
Listing NGR: TR0952053752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings