This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.24 / 51°14'24"N
Longitude: 0.6794 / 0°40'45"E
OS Eastings: 587130
OS Northings: 152394
OS Grid: TQ871523
Mapcode National: GBR QT4.4LM
Mapcode Global: VHJMP.Q3K7
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086145
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173763
Location: Harrietsham, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Harrietsham
Built-Up Area: Harrietsham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
HARRIETSHAM EAST STEEET
TQ 85 SE (south-west side)
4/30 The Old House
Farmhouse. Circa 1500. Timber framed with plaster infilling and
plain tile roof. Wealden; open hall of 2 unequal bays with storeyed
bay to either end. 2 storeys. Close-studded, except ground floor of
rightbay of hall and right end bay which have broadly spaced studding.
Right and left end bays jettied, with moulded bressumers. Jetties
and moulding continue round side elevations on moulded dragon posts.
Moulded fillet across front, along left side and formerly along right,
half way up first floor. Close-studded coving to flying wall-plate,
springing from fillet. Cross-passage delineated by bracket to
coving towards right end of hall. Hipped roof, with gablet to left.
Multiple brick ridge stack with fillet, in front slope of roof
off-centre to right, and small projecting stack to left end.
Irregular fenestration of one small 4-light ovolo-moulded mullioned
casement with leaded panes to each outer bay. 2-storey canted bay,
probably the original hall window, to larger, left-hand bay of hall,
extending through coving almost to eaves. Ground floor of bay has
6-light early C20 casement, first floor filled in and painted to
resemble close studding. Hollow-chamfered 4-centred arched door head
with carved spandrels to right end of hall, with moulded brattished
bressumer above. Ribbed door, probably original. Original, blocked,
door opening on first floor to rear of left side elevation (possibly
for garderobe?). Weatherboarded lean-to to right end. Interior:
Moulded and brattished screens and dais beams, two 4-centred arched
service doors with hollow spandrels and hollow-chamfered jambs, and
plain opening to "service" end stairs. "Service" stairs original.
Moulded central truss posts and tie-beam and moulded octagonal central
crown-post. Other crown-posts plain. Original smoke-blackened hall
wall to right on first floor. Internal tension braces and rebated
corner posts. Unusual survival of original vertical stud, lathe and
daub wall concealing coving from inside hall. Hall floor and stack
circa 1600. An "unusually sumptuous C16 Wealden house, unusually
well preserved, i.e. not restored." (J. Newman: Buildings of England
Series, North East and East Kent, 1969). Eric Mercer, English
Vernacular Houses, 1975.W. Galsworthy Davie and E. Guy Dawber, Old Cottages
and Farmhouses in Kent and Sussex, London 1900 Pl.6.
Listing NGR: TQ8713052394
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings