This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.387 / 51°23'13"N
Longitude: 0.5009 / 0°30'3"E
OS Eastings: 574109
OS Northings: 168301
OS Grid: TQ741683
Mapcode National: GBR PPN.TR3
Mapcode Global: VHJLT.MDNK
Entry Name: Old St Margaret's the King's School
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Last Amended: 2 December 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1086435
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173151
Location: Medway, ME1
Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West
Built-Up Area: Rochester
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
ROCHESTER ST MARGARET ' S
TQ 7468 SW
9/218 Old St Margaret's
24.10.50 (The King's
Former almshouses, now school rooms. Dated 1724. Flemish bond
red brick; Kent tile hipped roof. 2 storeys with attics, 9 bays.
Ground floor has 7 and first floor 8 L-pane sashes with glazing
bars under segmental rubbed brick arches (ground) and flat rubbed
brick arches (first floor), brick aprons below openings. 3
arched heads to basement area windows. Central brick doorcase
with entablature, stuccoed architrave surround with 6 penel
raised and fielded door, 2 upper panels glazed. Tablet under
segmental rubbed brick arch with inscription:-
"This house for the reception education and employment of
the poor of this parish was erected in ADl724. Toward
which the Honourable Sir John Jennings and Sir Thomas Colby
Representatives of this city voluntarily contributed £200.
It was finished and supported out of a perpetual charity
formerly given by Mr Richard Watts for the purpose.
Mr J Parnell and Mr Mordaunt, Churchwardens"
Wooden moulded eaves cornice, hipped roof with hipped dormers
with louvred wood slats. Stacks above survive. One south end
gable stack and 2 back-to-back stacks at east adjacent c1800 rear
build. Hipped wing attached at north east rear. Interior:
Converted into 2 storey schoolrooms in C19. Attics have 1724
boarded and lath and plaster partitions in sleeping cubicles.
Early Cl6 wall of Bihop's Court attached at north 9gv).
Listing NGR: TQ7411068303
Other nearby listed buildings