This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7708 / 50°46'14"N
Longitude: 0.2944 / 0°17'39"E
OS Eastings: 561882
OS Northings: 99306
OS Grid: TV618993
Mapcode National: GBR MV8.P7R
Mapcode Global: FRA C7H1.QHZ
Entry Name: 48-70, Seaside
Listing Date: 30 August 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489687
Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN22
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Devonshire
Built-Up Area: Eastbourne
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Eastbourne Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Terrace of houses, now including club and shop. Mid C19, possibly 1860s or 1870s Italianate style terrace of twelve properties built for the Duke of Devonshire's estate. Stuccoed with slate roofs concealed by parapet on the front elevation and cemented chimneystacks between each property. Three storeys and basement with one sash window to each, although nos 48 and 70 have further windows to the side elevation. Rear elevation has projecting rear wings with hipped roof to each pair of houses.
EXTERIOR: Front elevation has parapet with dentil eaves cornice (the latter currently missing to nos 48, 52 and 62). Moulded band above second floor windows and band of interlocking circles below second floor windows. End quoins and moulded architraves to nos 48 and 70 and rusticated ground floor to no 48. Full-height curved bays to each property. Second floor windows have sashes without glazing bars (except for no 62). First floor windows are very tall and have unusual horizontal glazing bars ( intact except for no 62). Elaborate first floor cast iron balcony ( at time of survey sections missing to nos 60, 66, 68 and 70). Ground floor windows have sashes without glazing bars (some replaced by C20 sashes). Round-headed doorcases (except to nos 48 and 70) with original four-fielded panelled doors. Steps to street level, nos 56, 60, 64, 66 and 68 retaining cast iron spear railings. No 70 has a later C20 shopfront. No 48 has a set back wing to the side elevation with three windows, two of which are in full height curved bays with similar glazing and cast iron railings to first floor. C20 doorcase in side elevation under flat hood. No 70 has three corner plinths to parapet and a set back further bay to the side elevation with single round-headed windows to the front and paired round-headed windows to the side. Recessed round-headed doorcase with cornice and brackets to side elevation and corner five-light window with pedimented roof. Rear elevations have projecting shared wings with two sash windows to each property.
INTERIOR: Round-headed arches to halls, staircases with stick balusters and column newels and moulded architraves to doorcases.
HISTORY: Built by the Duke of Devonshire's estate which developed Eastbourne after 1851. The unusual first floor horizontal glazing bars to the windows are similar to those to The Royal Hippodrome Theatre built by C J Phipps in 1883.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings