History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Hasfield, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9462 / 51°56'46"N

Longitude: -2.2543 / 2°15'15"W

OS Eastings: 382616

OS Northings: 227557

OS Grid: SO826275

Mapcode National: GBR 1K0.T27

Mapcode Global: VH93Y.WB3V

Plus Code: 9C3VWPWW+F7

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091440

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134198

Location: Hasfield, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Town: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Hasfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hasfield St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in



3/78 Church of St. Mary



Anglican parish church. C13, C14-15, tower restored 1719, major
restoration and north aisle by Thomas Fulljames (q.v. Hasfield
Court and monument in churchyard). Chancel; coursed blue lias and
occasional sandstone. Entrance to vault sandstone. North aisle;
rock-faced coursed blue lias. Tower; coursed blue lias with
sandstone quoins. Timber-framed porch on blue lias plinth. Stone
slate roof. Plan; nave with projecting porch on south side, north
aisle with entrance to vault against west end, chancel with vestry
on north, west tower. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. Chancel
south wall; C19 pointed 2-light window left, C19 three-light window
in rectangular surround right. C19 three-light east window with
C14 style flowing tracery and hood with head stops. Pointed
trefoil light above with hood with foliate stops. Chancel north
wall; 3-light window as in south wall. C19 plank door in round-
headed surround in east facing wall of vestry, trefoil upper left.
Three-light trefoil-headed window in north wall. Shouldered
opening with door in form of iron grille to vault. Stone eaves
cornice around vestry and vault with carved floral and foliate
bosses. North aisle; C19 three-light east window with hood with
carved head stops. C19 plank door with decorative strap hinges and
hood with carved head stops. Stone eaves cornice with ballflower
decoration. C19 pointed west window with hood with carved head
stops. Three stage tower; lower stages C13, upper stage C14-15.
Stair vice at north east corner. Decorated 2-light west window
(partly restored). Lancet windows in second stage. Two-light
pointed belfry windows with quatrefoils in third stage. String
between second and third floors. Battlemented parapet with cross
finials on each side. String below with gargoyles offset from each
corner. Shield with date 1719, marking a restoration on south
face. Stone sundial with gnomon at south-east corner of nave.
Nave south wall; clamp buttresses, C19 two-light pointed window
with tracery left of porch, similar window right of porch. Two-
light pointed window with cinquefoil-headed lights (restored C19)
right, scroll-moulded hood with head stops. Gabled porch. Timber-
arched entrance (restored C19) retains some C16 timbers, T-shaped
strut above collar, trefoil at apex, C16 bargeboard with carved
foliate decoration. C19 side walls with wood-mullioned unglazed
openings above waist height. C16 truss against south wall of nave
within porch forming almost pointed hollow-chamfered archway.
Original roof timbers with single tier of windbraces. Flagged
floor within porch incorporating C18 stone ledges. Early plank
door with C19 cover strips with trefoil-headed tracery at top.
Original cross member with brattished moulding at top and moulded
soffit, early lock set in heavy wooden block on back of door.
Flat-chamfered rectangular surround. Mass dial on lintel above.
Painted interior; 4-bay nave arcade with octagonal piers with
ballflower band around each capital, moulded hood with angel steps.
Double-chamfered C13 or C14 arch to tower, C19 segmental-pointed
arch from nave to chancel, wide C19 segmental-pointed arch in north
wall of chancel with C19 plank door to vestry, in blocking. Very
small trefoil-headed piscina in south wall of chancel right of
altar. Two ogee cusped trefoil-headed niches with foliate
spandrels high up in east end of north aisle. Blocked segmental-
pointed niche above window. Early plank door within flat-chamfered
pointed surround to stair vice from within tower. C14 two-bay
wagon roof in nave with original tie beam with moulded soffit. Tie
beam against chancel arch with brattished decoration along upper
edge, 4-leafed flower decoration on soffit, carved bird at centre,
stone figure of Christ crucified on wooden cross above, flanked by
two stone figures. Four-leafed flower decoration continues down
soffit of braces with carved spandrels supported by carved wooden
angel corbels: Cl9 arch-braced roof with collar and struts to north
aisle. C19 panelled roof with angel corbels in stone in chancel.
Red and grey tiling to nave and north aisle, some encaustic tiling
in chancel concentrated in sanctuary. Fittings: C12 tub-shaped
font on chamfered rectangular plinth at west end of nave. C19
pulpit in south-west corner of nave, incorporating reused carved
C17 panels. C19 pews some incorporating C15/16 bench ends with
blind tracery. C19 wooden reredos behind C19 wooden altar.
Monuments; chancel north wall; monument to Henry Brown (q.v. The
Great House) died 1620, Jacobean-Renaissance cream and grey marble
monument with Corinthian columns and heraldry. Monument to John
Barnes of Tirley Court, died 1820, white marble with urn at top and
branches at bottom. C19 white monument on blocking within
segmental-pointed arch below. Chest tomb to Dorothy Pauncefoot
(q.v. Hasfield Court) died 1568; limestone, right side divided
into 3 panels with raised moulded margins, heraldic shield within
each panel and at west end of tomb. Chancel south wall; monument
to James Alderson, former rector, died 1604. Blue lias with curved
top and crudely inscribed winged angel and floral decoration. Oval
tablet to Anne, wife of John Price, died 1707, with simple incised
foliate decoration around margin. North aisle; monument to Thomas
Fulljames of Hasfield Court, died 1847, and other members of that
family; brass plaque with ivy-leaf decoration around margin, paired
heraldic shields at each corner. Inscription at centre records
the building of the north aisle in memory of Thomas Fulljames (by
his nephew, also Thomas Fulljames). C19 stained glass in all
windows of chancel, at east end of north aisle and in west window
within tower. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England. Gloucestershire;
The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).

Listing NGR: SO8261627557

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.