This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8545 / 50°51'16"N
Longitude: -1.0377 / 1°2'15"W
OS Eastings: 467829
OS Northings: 106549
OS Grid: SU678065
Mapcode National: GBR BCL.8H4
Mapcode Global: FRA 86QV.1K5
Entry Name: Fort Purbrook
Listing Date: 26 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135460
Location: Havant, Hampshire, PO7
Electoral Ward/Division: Purbrook
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsdown Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 60 NE HAVANT PORTSDOWN HILL ROAD
3/8 Fort Purbrook
The easternmost of a series of Palmerston forts (of the 1860's) which ring the
Portsmouth naval base at a distance of 3 to 5 miles, the northern line being
constructed on and within the east-west chalk ridge of Portsdown Hill. The
polygonal form has a deep ditch on the outer faces, lined with brick walls.
There are brick lined tunnels and staircases within the chalk, giving access
to rifle parapets, gun emplacements, ammunition stores, and central assembly
ground, which forms the earthen platform. To the rear (south side) is a
central triangular barrack block, which includes two tiers of casemates on the
outer faces, flanked by plain walling, with entrances on each side; the
external face is red brickwork, with a series of narrow openings. The gateways
have 'Norman' arches with roll mouldings, and 2 recessed columns with cushion
caps, all in stone. Little altered, and never used as a defence from a
landward assault from the north.
Listing NGR: SU6942006469
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings