This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2653 / 51°15'55"N
Longitude: -1.0889 / 1°5'20"W
OS Eastings: 463664
OS Northings: 152186
OS Grid: SU636521
Mapcode National: GBR B6H.MJL
Mapcode Global: VHD08.2GPD
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 3 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137909
Location: Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG21
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Town: Basingstoke and Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Eastrop
Built-Up Area: Basingstoke
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Basingstoke
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/03/2018
SU 65 SW; 2/9
Church of St Michael
C14, C15, C16 and 1920. A church of early origin, with late-medieval replacements.
A comparatively small east end, comprising a chancel (a rebuild of 1464 with a
fine exposed timber roof within), a south chapel and vestry (of C14), and a
larger north (War Memorial) chapel of 1920. The larger scale nave and aisles
(1520) have five bays, enclosing the tower at the west end, and there is a 2-storeyed
south porch of 1539. The east end has steeply pitched red tile roofing, flint
walls with stone dressings (chequer-board pattern for the north chapel) for
windows, bands, buttresses. The main body of the church is in stone ashlar,
the nave having a flat roof (lead) behind a crenellated parapet the windows of
three lights in the clerestory and four lights in the aisles; there are cill bands, a high
moulded plinth, and plain parapets to the aisles. The Tower is of four stages, with
a crenellated parapet, octagonal corner buttresses capped by pinnacles of 1879,
with a large west window. Within there are three hatchments with the Royal Coat of
Arms (of Elizabeth, James I, and William III), a font of 1885, and some windows
at the east end containing small areas of C16 glass, from the Holy Ghost Chapel.
Listing NGR: SU6363152194
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings