This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2486 / 51°14'54"N
Longitude: -0.778 / 0°46'40"W
OS Eastings: 485384
OS Northings: 150640
OS Grid: SU853506
Mapcode National: GBR D9R.N3Q
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.GWK7
Entry Name: Beaumont Riding School
Listing Date: 29 March 1973
Last Amended: 13 February 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137828
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Rowhill
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot St Michael the Archangel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE AUCHINLECK WAY
991/2/2 Beaumont Riding School
(Formerly listed as:
THE RIDING SCHOOL)
Also Known As: SOUTH CAVALRY (BEAUMONT) BARRACKS, ALEXANDRA WAY
Riding school at cavalry barracks. 1856-9 to the designs of R M Laffan, CRE of Aldershot district. English bond yellow brick with Portland stone and rubbed brick dressings, and slate roof. Italianate style. Rectangular plan with 2-bay projecting front office.
EXTERIOR: single storey; 3-bay front and 2:15-bay sides. Plinth, walls with banded rustication to a cornice with brick dentils, the pedimented entrance end set in front of the matching wider and taller gable end to the riding school. Articulated by tall round-arched blind arcades with rubbed brick rusticated voussoirs and moulded imposts, the front end has flat-headed central doorway with an overlight and double doors and 3-light windows in the flanking bays, an oculus in the pediment, and 3-light lunettes in the tops of the arches; the sides have taller round-arched windows. Louvred ridge lantern extends along roof.
INTERIOR: contains a lobby with doors each side, and a roof of timber Queen post trusses with iron strapping. Officers' gallery at first floor level reached by 2 flights of stairs located in lobby area. Originally had a floor of 'tan' (clay over sand and brushwood).
HISTORY: architecturally the finest surviving cavalry riding school, part of the Beaumont Cavalry barracks (demolished in the 1960s). They formed part of three identical cavalry barracks built at the Wellington Lines. With the entrance gateway and guardrooms (qv), this is the last surviving part of the first permanent generation of cavalry barracks at Aldershot. It is well known that this is the finest example of a cavalry riding school in England and an exceptional example of the high architectural standards practised by the Royal Engineers from their foundation in 1837. It stands out in a national context as one of the most magnificent equestrian buildings and the finest example of riding school architecture after that at Bolsover in Derbyshire. Winston Churchill trained as a cavalry officer in this building.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings