This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7624 / 50°45'44"N
Longitude: -1.7002 / 1°42'0"W
OS Eastings: 421239
OS Northings: 95907
OS Grid: SZ212959
Mapcode National: GBR 557.2Z9
Mapcode Global: FRA 77B2.7G1
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 30 September 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143552
Location: Bransgore, New Forest, Hampshire, BH23
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Bransgore
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton Admiral St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 29 NW BRANSGORE A35
12/5 Church of St Michael
Parish church. C18 tower, rest rebuilt 1875-83 by G E Street. Brick with Portland
and Bath stone dressings, plain tile roof. Plan of chancel with north lean-to
vestry and gabled organ chamber, 3 bay nave with south porch and C18 west tower.
East end has Decorated 3-light window, string under. To north in centre gabled
organ chamber, each side lean-to, trefoiled lancets. To south, string that steps
down in centre, to west similar Decorated window, to east trefoiled lancet. Nave
has stepped buttress between bays and at corners, and kneelered gable walls.
2-light trefoiled windows except in centre of south is porch. Gabled porch with
gable wall and buttresses on either corner, and 3 order doorway. To west either
side of tower trefoiled lancet. C18 tower has C19 stepped buttresses to top of 2nd
stage. To west pointed west door dated 1882, over 2 C18 rubbed brick round-headed
windows with stone keys, 1st has C19 2-light trefoiled insertion, upper has louvres.
Modillioned cornice and parapet with stone corner finials. Inside stained-glass,
probably Street. East end has stone reredos with Christ and Gospel writers under
canopies. South-east piscina and sedilia. North-west organ. Decorative tilework
and barrel-vaulted roof. Chamfered chancel arch on corbels. Nave has ½-octagonal-
vaulted roof. Raised west pew with panelling. South door has octagonal font
Listing NGR: SP1623208425
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings