This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0634 / 51°3'48"N
Longitude: -1.3204 / 1°19'13"W
OS Eastings: 447718
OS Northings: 129556
OS Grid: SU477295
Mapcode National: GBR 861.8YZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 8639.RDX
Entry Name: Peninsular Barracks Mons Block
Listing Date: 11 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095310
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144908
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4729 NE 2/500 Peninsular Barracks
MILITARY HOSPITAL, now barracks. 1856. Walls red brick with grey headers; slated roof.
Rectangular plan, 3 storeys. Central stair gives access to corridors behind north (front)
elevation, from which open 6 wards on each upper floor. Latrine block to centre rear,
extended later C19 when 2 others added to either side. Front (north) elevation 5:3:5
bays, centre breaking forward and treated as simple open pediment with circular vent.
Central doorway with 6 panel flush door and side lights, united by fanlight with radial
glazing bars under elliptical gauged arch. Sash windows with glazing bars, stone cills,
gauged flat arched. Four large chimney stacks set behind ridge of shallow-pitch roof.
One of the last military hospitals to be built in the aftermath of the Crimean War
before the reforms advocated by Florence Nightingale. In 1858, the Barrack and Hospital
Improvement Commission criticised its layout, ventilation and facilities. (Hampshire
Chronicle, March-May 1856; Barrack and Hospital Improvement Commission, Interim Report
on Barracks in the Portsmouth District (July 1858), ppl5-18).
Listing NGR: SU4771429457
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings