This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0599 / 51°3'35"N
Longitude: -1.3135 / 1°18'48"W
OS Eastings: 448209
OS Northings: 129173
OS Grid: SU482291
Mapcode National: GBR 861.JQG
Mapcode Global: FRA 864B.23C
Entry Name: The Deanery, Incorporating Prior's Hall
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144503
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1833 THE CLOSE
The Deanery, incorporating
SU 4829 SW 6/43 24.3.50.
Now divided into two floors and attics. C.14 - 15. Long Gallery, now
Library, 1666 - 1679 (South window 1805). Central part of house C.17,
including good staircase. Main entrance portico of 3 C13 arches with
2-storey Tudor stone building over. Purbeck marble piers and shafts.
Timber roof with arched braces in the hall. Old tile roofs, good chimneys,
some rebuilt. The main part extensively restored 1971. The Long Gallery
of red brick, on an open ground floor. Five lattice windows above.
All listed buildings in the Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4820329183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings