This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6298 / 52°37'47"N
Longitude: -1.1134 / 1°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 460104
OS Northings: 303934
OS Grid: SK601039
Mapcode National: GBR FMM.34
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.V5Z7
Entry Name: Melbourne Hall Free Church and Attached Memorial Schools
Listing Date: 13 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489906
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Spinney Hills
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Presentation of Christ
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10176 MELBOURNE ROAD
13-NOV-02 Melbourne Hall Free Church and attache
d Memorial Schools
Also Known As:
Melbourne Hall Free Church and attached Memorial Schools,
ST PETERS ROAD
Church and attached Sunday Schools building. 1880 and 1884. By Goddard and Paget of Leicester. Red brick with blue brick banding to church and moulded brick bands to schools and plain tile roofs. Church has centralised plan and is in Byzantine Gothic style with Scandinavian style octagonal main roof. Schools in Domestic Revival style.
EXTERIOR of church. Main front to St. Peter's Road has central wide gable with hipped roofed 2-storey entrance porches to sides. Octagonal main part of church set back to rear. Gable has a run of 7 tall lancets with a broad band of terra cotta foliage work between glazing to ground and 1st floors. Large rose window in gable. The upper fenestration continues to left and right in the upper parts of the porches, but alternate openings are blank. On ground floor either side is a doorway with moulded arch and slightly projecting gable. The upper fenestration continues round the sides of the porch element and there are wider spaced lancets below. All the glazing is of very small panes of tinted glass set in leaded lights. In the centre of the sides of the church are buttresses supporting the central space and a pair of tall 2-light windows, which are repeated by similar shorter windows on the canted sides of the octagon. Above rises the massive tall octagon roof ending in a finial. To the left of the left side of the church are further lancets on 2 floors and then a 2-storey gabled porch element with triple lancet over arched doorway with pair of part-glazed doors and glazed surround. Attached to the left of this porch is the schools building.
EXTERIOR of schools. 2 storeys and attic. Wide central gable has 2 storeys of a 4-window range of mullion and transom windows with leaded lights with tinted glass. Raised band between storeys has cut brick inscription 'THE ROBERT WALKER MEMORIAL SCHOOLS'. The attic gable has a large rose window with timber openwork to sides and apex supported on moulded brackets. Lower aisle like ends to right and left, that to left with entrance doorway with ornamental typanum and glazed doors. The building has, on either side at attic level, a long clerestory of continuous mullioned windows with leaded light glazing, that to Earl Howe Street boarded in. Taller mullion and transom windows below this on both sides, with facing Earl Howe Street, a gabled projection to right with a circular window in the gable surrounded by timber openwork. To left there is a small projecting wing with entrance in lean-to porch. Behind are the classrooms which extend around the church surrounding a small yard.
INTERIOR of church. The large impressive space has galleries on three sides supported on iron columns and pine pews both to these and below. Central preaching and officers platform with choir seating behind. Stained glass in the east and west rose windows. The light from many large windows filled with tinted glass is an impressive feature of the church. Above is a massive roof structure formed by elaborate timber work.
Many of the other rooms survive with contemporary detailing.
INTERIOR of schools. Large hall has gallery to three sides on iron columns. Recent false ceiling. Many other classrooms including one (lounge) with fireplace with panelled surround.
A very impressive and finely-detailed group of buildings with many internal features surviving.
Source: Brandwood, G. and Cherry, M., Men of Property: the Goddards and Six Generations of Architecture. Leicester, 1990, p.75-6.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings