This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2308 / 51°13'50"N
Longitude: -0.5654 / 0°33'55"W
OS Eastings: 500264
OS Northings: 148935
OS Grid: TQ002489
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.MXH
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.4BZ9
Entry Name: Chantry Dene
Listing Date: 19 December 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489922
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shalford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
1688/0/10031 FORT ROAD
House. Designed in 1907 and erected in 1908, Architects Clemence and Moon, in Arts and Crafts style. The client was a local timber merchant Arthur I Moon. Built mainly of purple brick in stretcher bond with red brick dressings and some pebbledash, especially to the gables. Wooden Georgian style cornice. Tiled roof with tall brick chimneystacks. Butterfly plan aligned north to south, the wider part to the south, with a north eastern spur containing the service wing. Two storeys attics and basement; three or four windows to the main part of the house, with irregular fenestration to the front but regular to the rear, mainly mullioned or mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lights.
EXTERIOR: North or entrance front has a central curved belvedere to the roof with three leaded lights surmounted by an octagonal wooden cupola with copper dome and metal weathervane. The central first floor window has a curved leaded light and the ground floor has a semi-circular domed porch supported on two Tuscan columns and two piers. Behind is a good quality oak panelled half-glazed door with original ironmongery. On either side are partly inward facing pebbledashed gables with Venetian windows and casement windows below, two to left and one to right, right hand one a late C20 window within original surround. To the left is the mainly one storey service wing.
West elevation has a two storey canted bay window with pebbledash between the floors.
South or garden front has a recessed central bay with dormer with curved gable. Below is a five-light square bay with mullions and transomes and leaded lights. The ground floor has four columns to the loggia with balustrading above. Loggia glazed-in to make a sun lounge in late C20. The end bays have outwardly facing pebbledashed gables with oval windows to the attics and a triple dormer to the gable returns. Below are two storey five-light canted bays with mullioned and transomed windows and leaded lights to the upper parts only. To the right, set back is a further bay with curved 4-light window to the first floor and four-light mullioned and transomed casement to the ground floor. To the extreme right is a one storey service wing with three windows.
INTERIOR: Oak staircase with gallery with turned balusters and newel posts with carvings of mitlitary arms and heraldic devices. The two principal south facing reception rooms and the former study, now kitchen, contain round-headed apse-like cupboards. There are deep skirting boards and simple coved ceilings. A second floor bedroom retains an original fireplace. A larder with slate shelves is also reported in an earlier Sales Particulars.
HISTORY: In 1910 Roger Eliot Fry, art critic and member of the Bloomsbury Group, was a tenant while building his own house, Durbins, in Chantry View Road.
The architect, Thomas Riley Clemence (1863-1947) practised mainly in the Guildford area with various partners and his commissions included many large houses and public houses for Friary Holroyd and Healy's breweries. His partner at the time Moon is considered to be a Mr H Moon who constructed the almshouses in Hambledon in 1907.
[Surrey History Centre drawings 5118/H Box 145. Envelope 841H
25 inch OS Map 1915-19.
"The Builder" April 11 1947. Obituary of T R Clemence.
RIBA Library Biographical Record.
Surrey Records Office undated Particulars of Sale of Chantry Dene by Messenger Morgan. Ref. 947 .]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings