This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5058 / 51°30'20"N
Longitude: -0.1379 / 0°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 529334
OS Northings: 180187
OS Grid: TQ293801
Mapcode National: GBR FG.6C
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.KDHZ
Entry Name: 19, Crown Passage
Listing Date: 30 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490038
Location: Westminster, London, SW1Y
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
1900/0/10332 CROWN PASSAGE
House. c.1730. Two windows wide, three storeys, basement and attic. Victorian shop front to ground floor. Upper floors faced in yellow stock bricks, red window arches of gauged red brick. Slate roof. Windows replaced with tall casements. Interior, particularly upper three floors, retain much joinery including fielded panelling, box cornices, fireplace surrounds (some with later Georgian grates), doors. The winder staircase retains turned balusters and columnar newels, with dado panelling.
HISTORY: Crown Passage, formerly called Golden Lion Court, was in existence by 1680 and soon became noted for its coffee and public houses. The earliest lease relating to this house (in the possession of Lock & Co.) dates from 1732, which described it as one of five small messuages in the same ownership. It then became part of the Red Cow public house. During the early 19th century it was in multiple family occupation; from 1881 it was used as a marine store dealers, a sort of rag and bone shop. It forms a pair with the already listed No 18 Crown Passage, and is listed as a now rare survival of an artisanal house in St James's from the early Georgian period, which retains much of its internal fabric.
SOURCE: Ruth Guilding, 'History of 19 Crown Passage, St James's, London' (privately commissioned report, February 2003).
Other nearby listed buildings