This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7827 / 52°46'57"N
Longitude: -1.5685 / 1°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 429201
OS Northings: 320655
OS Grid: SK292206
Mapcode National: GBR 5F5.D9L
Mapcode Global: WHCGD.WB81
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 14 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82572
Location: South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE11
District: South Derbyshire
Town: South Derbyshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Newhall and Stanton
Built-Up Area: Swadlincote
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Newhall St John
Church of England Diocese: Derby
Church of St John
SK 22 SE 1/1
1820-30. (Pre 1836). Red brick church standing in former centre of Newhall
village facing green called 'Market Place'. Short west tower, aisless nave
and chancel. Gothic style. Tower has west door, window cloak, belfry window
and crenellated parapet. Angle buttresses carried up to small square 'towers'
surmounted by broach spires. Nave has 4 windows all with deeply splayed
brick arches and dripmoulds. Large east window to chancel. Inside, panelled
west gallery and doors with Gothic ribbed tracery. Chandeliers. Wall monuments
include one to Rev Joseph Clay 'one of the founders of this church' (died
1836). Open wooden screen of 1924.
Listing NGR: SK2920120655
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings