History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fooks, Mackenzie and Walis Monuments Approximately 3 Metres North West of Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Wyke Regis, Dorset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5988 / 50°35'55"N

Longitude: -2.4791 / 2°28'44"W

OS Eastings: 366190

OS Northings: 77787

OS Grid: SY661777

Mapcode National: GBR PX.V2LM

Mapcode Global: FRA 57PH.411

Entry Name: Fooks, Mackenzie and Walis Monuments Approximately 3 Metres North West of Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467804

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

Electoral Ward/Division: Wyke Regis

Built-Up Area: Weymouth

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Wyke Regis All Saints with St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wyke Regis

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SY6677NW PORTLAND ROAD, Wyke Regis
873-1/29/638 (West side)
Fooks, Mackenzie and Walis monuments
approx 3m NW of Church of All Saints

GV II

3 headstones. 1681,1769 and 1832. Portland stone. The 3
monuments lie in a straight row, the nearest being approx 3.5m
from the NW corner of the tower, and spreading approx 2.5m
overall.
From S to N: (i) To James Mackenzie, d.1769. A bold scrolled
head embraces a modelled upper part with putti, a skull and
bones. The inscription is on a plain panel below; (ii) To John
Isles Fooks, d.1832. A plain round-headed stone with clear
inscription; (iii) To Elizabeth, wife of Henry Walis (sic),
d.1681. A thick stone with bold high relief carving of a skull
with a heart in the mouth, flanked by cornucopiae and leaf
decoration. Below this the stone has slightly raised margins,
with a flat segmental top band carried on square responds to
side 'pilasters'. The sunk panel has an inscription in
capitals, filling the space, and with wayward spacing. On the
head band is the motto 'O DEATH WHERE IS THY STING', which has
been scratched over in recent times. The stone is partly sunk,
and the inscription may continue below the ground; it is the
earliest in-situ monument identified in the churchyard.


Listing NGR: SY6619077787

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.