History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lewis, Mitchell and a Third Monument Approximately 20 Metres North of Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Wyke Regis, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5992 / 50°35'56"N

Longitude: -2.4787 / 2°28'43"W

OS Eastings: 366214

OS Northings: 77824

OS Grid: SY662778

Mapcode National: GBR PX.V2PS

Mapcode Global: FRA 57PH.459

Entry Name: Lewis, Mitchell and a Third Monument Approximately 20 Metres North of Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 December 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467808

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

Electoral Ward/Division: Wyke Regis

Built-Up Area: Weymouth

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Wyke Regis All Saints with St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wyke Regis

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SY6677NW PORTLAND ROAD, Wyke Regis
873-1/29/646 (West side)
Lewis, Mitchell and a third monument
approx 20m north of Church of All
Saints

GV II

Group of 3 headstones. C18 and C19. Portland stone. (i) To
William Lewis, died 21 April 1822. The stone has a shaped head
with scrolls in squared outline, above a sunk panel to
segmental head carved with 2 sailing ships, in low relief. The
inscription below includes: 'Sacred to the Memory of William
Lewis who was killed by a shot from the Pigmy schooner 21st
April 1822 aged 22 years'. The stone is leaning badly; (ii)
approx 2m W of the preceding, to ..... Mitchell, d.17. The
segmental curved top is flanked by small rosette scrolls, with
a mason's square and dividers carved in relief at the centre.
There were fine inscriptions, now much worn. Immediately N of
this is; (iii) A stone with segmental top flanked by square
haunches, above bold relief carving of palm fronds flanked by
a mason's square and a sextant or similar instrument. A fine
but worn inscription, no name or date legible.

Listing NGR: SY6621477824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.