History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandsfoot Castle Remains

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weymouth, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5952 / 50°35'42"N

Longitude: -2.4608 / 2°27'38"W

OS Eastings: 367482

OS Northings: 77372

OS Grid: SY674773

Mapcode National: GBR PY.FFJP

Mapcode Global: FRA 57QH.K4V

Entry Name: Sandsfoot Castle Remains

Listing Date: 12 December 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096763

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467774

Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

Town: Weymouth and Portland

Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East

Built-Up Area: Weymouth

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Weymouth

Listing Text


WEYMOUTH

SY67NE OLD CASTLE ROAD
873-1/4/242 (East side)
12/12/53 Sandsfoot Castle, remains

II*

Coastal fort, now ruined. c1541. For Henry VIII. Portland
rubble core with remains of ashlar in parts. One of Henry
VIII's coastal forts, built at a cost of ยป3887-4s-1d. PLAN:
originally a central block of 2 storeys and basement, with NW
entrance gate, and an octagonal gun-room on the seaward side.
The outer walls with gatehouse remain in part, much decayed,
but the gun-room has practically disappeared through coastal
erosion.
EXTERIOR: the entry front has remains of the left side of the
gatehouse over an entry with straight-sided low arch, with
remains of walling each side, unfaced. The right side has
remains of walling to basement, ground and first floors, with
substantial ashlar remnants to the upper level with 4 large
openings to deep reveals on 4-centred heads over square
openings, and very steep sloping sills. Beneath, in unfaced
walling, are 6 lights to peaked heads, with 5 square-headed
openings to the basement. The opposite flank has 4 deep
casements, in some ashlar facing, above 4 openings to the main
level; the basement level is below ground level on this side.
INTERIOR: is completely unroofed and without floors or
fittings except for remains of a fireplace and doorways at the
seaward end.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building suffered early erosion, already
referred to in 1584, was abandoned for military use in 1644-5,
and used as a store until 1691. It has importance as one of
the coastal defences built for Henry VIII; the corresponding
Portland Castle (see Portland) is still complete. RCHME has
drawings of the ruins (p.337).
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 336-337).


Listing NGR: SY6748277372

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.