History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5788 / 52°34'43"N

Longitude: 1.7247 / 1°43'28"E

OS Eastings: 652447

OS Northings: 304408

OS Grid: TG524044

Mapcode National: GBR YRJ.BTV

Mapcode Global: WHNW5.GFHV

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096807

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468445

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR31

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: St Andrews

Built-Up Area: Gorleston-on-Sea

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Gorleston St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


TG5204 CHURCH LANE, Southtown And Gorleston
839-1/8/210 (North side)
27/06/53 Church of St Andrew


Parish church. C13 west tower, C14 nave, continuous chancel
and aisles. Heavily restored 1872. Flint with whole pebbles
and ashlar dressings. Machine-tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses to 3 corners
and a side buttress to the north-east. Polygonal stair turret
to the south. Lancet west window and lancets to ringing
chamber. Set-off below belfry stage added late C15: 2-light
transomed belfry windows. Flushwork crenellated parapet. South
aisle west window of 3 lancets, north aisle window of cusped
3-light Y tracery. South aisle with six 2-light Y-tracery
windows and a double hollow-chamfered south doorway. South
porch rebuilt 1872: diamond chequerwork to south face,
diagonal stepped buttresses and a wave-moulded outer arch;
2-light side windows. The north aisle has five 2-light
Y-tracery windows. East end with 3 gables with windows of
1872. Centre window is a 5-light Geometric design, 5-light
south aisle and 4-light north aisle Perpendicular panel
INTERIOR: no internal division between nave and chancel except
for a trefoiled timber arch. 8-bay arcade of octagonal piers
on moulded bases and with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered
arches. C19 scissor-braced roofs, boarded to the chancel.
Triple-chamfered tower arch. South-east tower buttress
projects into nave. Late C14 octagonal font with damaged
figures to the stem and scenes in the bowl depicting the 7
sacraments plus the Last Judgement. Damage recorded in 1643.
C19 polygonal pulpit and chancel parclose screens. Organ of
1904 by Norman and Beard moved here 1978-9 (formerly in St
John's Lowestoft). Brass of a knight of the Bacon family,
c1320: full length, military dress, cross-legged. Royal Arms
painted on board: of Charles II, dated 1664.

Listing NGR: TG5244704408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.