History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6114 / 52°36'40"N

Longitude: 1.7273 / 1°43'38"E

OS Eastings: 652435

OS Northings: 308036

OS Grid: TG524080

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.CHS

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.HMQD

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468451

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Central and Northgate

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Great Yarmouth

Listing Text


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5208SW CHURCH PLAIN
839-1/11/22 (North side)
27/06/53 Church of St Nicholas

GV II*

Parish church. Founded in association with a Benedictine
Priory 1101 by Bishop Herbert de Losinga and completed in
1119. The base of the tower is early C12, the remainder
rebuilt in stages throughout C13. Derelict state in C17 and
C18: north nave aisle removed 1705, replaced 1847 by JH
Hakewill. East end rebuilt 1813 by PH Wyatt, again rebuilt and
lengthened 1862 by JP Seddon. Further restorations in 1847,
1862 and 1889 (the last by JL Pearson). Fire-bombed in 1942
and gutted completely leaving only the external walls, most of
which were by then C19, rebuilt 1957-60 by Stephen Dykes
Bower. Flint, mostly knapped, and ashlar dressings. Copper
roof cladding.
PLAN: cruciform plan of nave, nave aisles, transepts with
central tower, chancel and chancel aisles.
EXTERIOR: the west front presents 3 gables, the central one
lit through 3 early C13 lancets over an arched and moulded
doorway. Wide south aisle added c1250 showing 3 stepped
lancets each with 2 Y-tracery lights and cusping of C19
design. Punched trefoils in the spandrels. Equally wide north
aisle of 1847 lit through stepped lancets with Y-tracery. 4
polygonal turrets with C19 pinnacles. 8 nave aisle bays, the
windows to the south side of 3 lights each of Geometric
Decorated design. Gabled south porch with an arched and
moulded doorway, corner pinnacles and flushwork panelling.
Inside a 2-bay quadripartite rib-vault and an inner doorway
with 3 orders of shafts carrying stiff-leaf capitals. Two
3-light flowing side windows. The porch restored in 1991. The
north nave aisle has seven 3-light Perpendicular windows of
C20 origin and a re-used C13 doorway with multiple roll
mouldings and a string course carried over it. In the angle
with the north transept is an altar tomb of 1851 protected by
iron railings. 7-light transept windows with Decorated
tracery; angle pinnacles again. The chancel has 3-light cusped
north and south windows and a 5-light east window by JP
Seddon. In the angles between the chancel and the transepts
are various low C19 and C20 vestries. The tower has an arcade
of C12 arches, then a string course below round-arched windows
lighting the ringing chamber. The belfry is almost all 1862,
by Seddon: 3 tall lancets to each face, a punched parapet and
corner pinnacles.


INTERIOR: 4-bay nave arcade entirely of 1957, in design and
execution: rectangular piers with engaged shafts and fan
capitals. Boarded nave and aisle roofs. The west end has an
internal wall passage. Wide arches from the aisles into the
transepts and 4 transept arches re-cased in C19. The chancel
has 5 aisles (since 1960), the outer 2 aisles separated by a
4-bay octagonal arcade of 1960. Pitched boarded central roof,
flat boarded aisle roofs. Chancel pulpitum with 2 arched C13
doors decorated with quatrefoils in the jambs and in the arch
and with encircled quatrefoils in the spandrels. Norman
octagonal font with a 12-sided bowl with waterleaf decoration
from Highway, Wiltshire. Simple nave pews from St George's,
Yarmouth, 1714. Panelled pulpit also from St George's.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North-east Norfolk and
Norwich: Harmondsworth: 1962-: 143-146).

Listing NGR: TG5243508036

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.