This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6029 / 52°36'10"N
Longitude: 1.7308 / 1°43'51"E
OS Eastings: 652726
OS Northings: 307101
OS Grid: TG527071
Mapcode National: GBR YQZ.SHM
Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.KTFY
Entry Name: Church of St Spyridon
Listing Date: 27 June 1953
Last Amended: 26 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468465
Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30
District: Great Yarmouth
Town: Great Yarmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Nelson
Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG5207SE DENE SIDE
839-1/16/32 (East side)
27/06/53 Church of St Spyridon
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Spyridou (Greek
Formerly known as: Church of St Peter DENE SIDE.
Parish church. 1831-3. By JJ Scoles. Greek Orthodox church
from 1964. Gault brick. West tower, nave, aisles and
continuous chancel. Perpendicular style.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with an arched west door under a
3-light west window and cusped square ringing-chamber windows.
Stepped angle buttresses. Second stage with a clock face to
cardinal points. Twin 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated
parapet. Aisles clasp west end of chancel and have their west
bays devoted to entrance doors. Seven 2-light Perpendicular
aisle windows north and south separated by stepped buttresses.
8 rounded lancets to the clerestory with flat buttresses
between them. One lancet to chancel north and south walls and
a 5-light chancel east window. Diagonal east buttresses.
INTERIOR: 7-bay arcade of square piers with grooves to each
side set diagonally. No capitals. Double wave-moulded arches.
Flat timber roof to nave with moulded joists running into
moulded wall-posts. Plain gallery at west end on circular
cast-iron columns. Timber reredos and other furnishings of
various dates after 1964. Font of 1907: 5 marble columns
support a circular marble bowl.
Listing NGR: TG5272607101
Other nearby listed buildings