History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lloyds Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6071 / 52°36'25"N

Longitude: 1.7244 / 1°43'27"E

OS Eastings: 652263

OS Northings: 307549

OS Grid: TG522075

Mapcode National: GBR YQY.JRW

Mapcode Global: WHNVZ.GQBP

Entry Name: Lloyds Bank

Listing Date: 27 June 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1096842

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468480

Location: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Town: Great Yarmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Central and Northgate

Built-Up Area: Great Yarmouth

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Great Yarmouth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Gorleston-on-Sea

Listing Text


GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207NW HALL QUAY
839-1/12/46 (East side)
27/06/53 No.19
Lloyds Bank

GV II

Bank. Mid C19, on the site of a C16 house. By RM Phipson. For
Lacon, Youell & Co, bankers. Early C20 stone ground-floor
banking facade. To rear are C18 ranges. Gault brick with a
slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 7-window range. Ground floor with five
C20 sashes without glazing bars and an entrance to the left
behind a pair of modified Ionic columns in antis with a pair
of pilasters. Stone garlands to the frieze above. Upper floors
with rusticated quoins dividing facade into 2 plus 5 bays,
each floor with 2/2 horned sashes, those to first floor under
segmental heads. Chevron and corbel eaves cornice below
parapet. Gabled roof with internal gable-end stacks north and
south. Late C18 2-storey rear wing under a slate Mansard roof
fitted with C19 and C20 sashes and casements. To north is a
cross-wing dated 1784 and initials U over PE.
INTERIOR: C20 in character. Oak chimney-piece in banking hall
dated 1598. A pair of fluted Ionic pilasters support a frieze
with 3 Green Men and a foliate trail. Above are 3 panels, the
centre one wider, the outer ones with fielded arcade motif.
All have deeply-undercut interlace borders. Right and left are
female caryatid figures standing on grotesque heads. Plain
upper frieze has 2 diamond studs and the date 1598. Modillion
cornice. Second oak chimney-piece in first-floor front room to
north. Dated 1598 and with initials RWA. Pair of reeded and
fluted Ionic pilasters support a lower frieze of foliate
scrolls and putti figures. 2 upper panels with arcading are
separated by 3 caryatid figures rising from grotesque heads.
The panels themselves with gadrooned borders. Upper frieze
with more foliate trails and the date.

Listing NGR: TG5226307549

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.