This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.777 / 50°46'37"N
Longitude: -3.443 / 3°26'34"W
OS Eastings: 298352
OS Northings: 98481
OS Grid: SX983984
Mapcode National: GBR P2.XKNW
Mapcode Global: FRA 37P1.6GB
Entry Name: Broad Ley longmeadow mattress
Listing Date: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098293
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88425
Location: Broad Clyst, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Broad Clyst
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Broadclyst St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 99 NE BROADCLYST MOOR EDGE LANE
5/112 Longmeadow, Mattress and Broad
3 cottages, formerly a farmhouse. Circa C15 with a parlour wing of 1624. Cob,
stone plinth, rendered under thatched roof, gabled-end to right-hand end, the wing
half-hipped. Originally a 3-room, cross-passage plan, the lower end to the right of
the passage: to this has been added a further right-hand one-room unit (now
Longmeadow), circa late C18 or early C19; the parlour has been extended forward in a
large wing containing a date stone, 'HAD 1624'. The Hall was originally of 2 bays,
the lower-end of one, the roof over all three bays being smoke-blackened. Right-
hand end C19 brick stack; axial brick stack marks former lower-end end stack;
external rear lateral stack with brick shaft inserted to heat hall; left-hand rear
stack with moulded cap to parlour wing. 2 storeys throughout.
Front: Scattered fenestration; four 2- and 3-light windows to upper floor, just
breaking eaves line, 3 ground floor windows, 2 and 3-light: all timber panes with
chamfered mullions, each light with 8 or 10 leaded panes, and with circa 1700-style
latches and hinges. They appear mostly to have been recently renewed, although some
may be C19. A stair turret with splayed sides and catslide thatch and a small 2-
light windows stands to the left of the cross passage entrance. Another door to
right-hand extension. A third door gives access to wing, which has a 2 or 3-light
window above (frames and panes as above). C19 cast iron pump adjacent wall in the
Rear: 3 upper-floor 3-light windows, one under eyebrow eaves, four 2 and 3-light
ground-floor windows and a doorway to right of external stack. Timber frames
renewed as front.
Interior: Hall, with 3 deeply chamfered beams, with pyramidal and anchor stops, that
to the left forming a bressumer above the remains of a plank and muntin screen (5
bays), the muntins and bressumer chamfered, the parlour chamber jettied into Hall.
Massive chamfered beam to lower end, another slighter beam to right-hand room. 3 deeply
chamfered beams to parlour wing lower room, with large end fireplace.
Roof: 3 smoke-blackened trusses survive, that to the parlour end sooted to Hall side
only; all are morticed and side-pegged at apex with collars (side-pegged and
morticed), one collar (to the central principal to Hall) cambered. Rafters and
diagonal ridge-piece. Formerly Mooredge Cottages.
Listing NGR: SX9835298481
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings