This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7703 / 50°46'12"N
Longitude: -3.4953 / 3°29'43"W
OS Eastings: 294650
OS Northings: 97808
OS Grid: SX946978
Mapcode National: GBR P1.RX47
Mapcode Global: FRA 37K1.Q31
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Last Amended: 20 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88455
Location: Huxham, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Huxham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Poltimore with Huxham
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/04/2018
SX 99 NW
Church of St Mary the Virgin
(Formerly listed as Church of St John the Baptist, previously listed as Church of St Mary)
Parish church. The original C14 church was entirely rebuilt, the chancel in 1864 by John Hayward, the nave in 1871 by Benjamin Ferrey. Thorverton stone (volcanic trap). A two-cell building: nave with west bellcote and south porch and chancel. Decorated style.
Exterior: South porch set well to west lit by two lancets with deeply splayed window arches and double-chamfered arch with nook shafts. Nave with two windows to south, three to north, all two-light with tracery and hood moulds and pretty floral terminals. West bellcote twice weathered and timber bell housing (perhaps later) roof; nave roof eaves-line marked on west front by string course with trefoil relief at apex; Two-light west window with unusual central boss to head-tracery. Chancel, one two-light window to north and south, flush; three-light east window. Much of the stonework was badly decayed within a short time of the 1871 rebuilding and it is difficult to determine whether or not medieval stonework was anywhere re-used.
Interior: deep window arches; roofs with arch braces; plain chancel arch.
Font: Norman, bowl with spiral roll moulding waisted by cable moulding below, the rim decorated with roundels and nailheads set up on C19 base.
Glass: Medieval fragments in chancel north and south windows.
Piscina: Medieval trefoil-headed, in chancel south wall.
Screen: Three bays. Central entrance bay with large knotty leaves to spandrels; side bays, square-headed, with ogival reticulation above, linenfold panels below; presumably late C15 or early C16, although the tracery work seemed to Pevsner to 'look exceptionally early'. The left-hand tracery panel is a later copy of its companion.
References: Devon C19 Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SX9465097808
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings