This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1343 / 52°8'3"N
Longitude: -2.3004 / 2°18'1"W
OS Eastings: 379536
OS Northings: 248481
OS Grid: SO795484
Mapcode National: GBR 0FH.17H
Mapcode Global: VH92Z.2MQ7
Entry Name: Gatehouse and Adjoining Range on North and East Sides of Courtyard at Beauchamp Almshouses
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1098740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153394
Location: Newland, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR13
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Newland
Built-Up Area: Great Malvern
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: The Beauchamp Community Extra Parochial Place
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
NEWLAND CP -
SO 74 NE
5/78 Gatehouse and adjoining
range on north and east
25.3.68 sides of courtyard at
Gatehouse and almshouses. 1862-4 by P C Hardwick. Brick with limestone
dressings and tile roofs. The tower is of rectangular plan and has clasping
buttresses and a parapet with blind tracery decoration. Its south wall has a
moulded pointed doorway. Above are two tall narrow lights and a clock face.
A steep slated pavilion roof is set back behind the parapet. Two chimneys
with rubbed brick caps to right. The almshouses have mullioned windows, mostly
of three lights, with flush stone sill bands, and with blank trefoiled heads
on the ground floor. The first floor windows project upwards into gabled dormers.
To the right of the tower are two bays, with a pointed doorway between them.
To the left are five bays with wide pointed doorways between the first and
second, and the third and fourth. Above the doorways are timber dormers of
two lights under a pyramid roof. A more irregular house with a single-storey
lean-to links this range to one on the west side of the courtyard. This is
similar except for a doorway to the right. C20 bathroom additions link this
to a further range at right angles, facing south. This is of four bays with
doorways and dormers to each side of the two centre bays. Adjoining to the
west is a later addition dated 1889, of two bays in a similar style. The
chimneys have gauged brick shafts of rubbed brickina variety of patterns.
Listing NGR: SO7953648481
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings