History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Cottage the Old Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Aldbury, Hertfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8028 / 51°48'9"N

Longitude: -0.6023 / 0°36'8"W

OS Eastings: 496468

OS Northings: 212492

OS Grid: SP964124

Mapcode National: GBR F4J.Y9X

Mapcode Global: VHFRQ.HYYC

Entry Name: Manor Cottage the Old Manor House

Listing Date: 14 May 1952

Last Amended: 29 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100624

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355653

Location: Aldbury, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Aldbury

Built-Up Area: Aldbury

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Pitstone

Listing Text

ALDBURY STOCKS ROAD
SP 9612
(West side)
12/17 No.9 (The Old Manor House)
14.5.52 and No.13 (Manor Cottage)
(formerly listed as No. 9
(Manor House))
GV II*
House (never a manor house) now 2 houses. Circa 1500, open hall house of
unusual form, for either Henry Winch or for Russell family, '1516' in
spandrel of hall fireplace, 2 storeys N extension, several fireplaces,
and floors inserted in hall, and in kitchen in rear wing, in mid C17
(before 1663 when Bennet Winch paid tax for 5 hearths: his initials on
main stack). Large projecting S chimney early C18. By 1722 described as
a house and 2 cottages. Timber frame on red brick sill with red brick
infill, plastered in central bays on 1st floor front, and red brick
casing to ground floor and S wall of rear wing. Steep old red tile roofs.
An irregular 2-storeys L-shaped building facing E over the village pond.
Deep single hall bay has jettied parlour bay to N and C17 jettied
extension with lean-to and outshut to N of it. Higher gabled S crosswing
has wide entrance door into former crosspassage below jettied 1st floor
with entrance to hall beyond back of massive chimney stack serving the
hall. Lower 2-storeys rear wing has 2-bays kitchen, formerly open to
roof, and storeyed W end bay for cook above storage. 4 windows long E
front with flush cast-iron lattice casements to 1st floor, one to each
bay defined by the exposed timber framing. The face of the close-studded
jettied 1st floor of the parlour bay is in the same plane as the front
of the close-studded hall bay (lower part faced in brick) a most unusual
feature proved original by the framing of the members. The higher jetty
of the N extension has wide-spaced studs, as does the 1st floor of the S
crosswing although its gable triangle over has close-studding. The ground
floor is faced in brick with tall 2-light small-paned casement windows
one to each bay, but flanked by high 3-light ovolo moulded leaded windows
to the parlour, and with leaded glazing to the right of the plank door to
the N extension (No. 13). Fine hollow-chamfered 4-centred wide doorway in
S crosswing with sunk spandrels and old battened oak door with iron
hinges. The S side of this crosswing has exposed 1st floor framing with
wide-spaced studs and curved tension braces set low to allow small corner
windows. Large projecting C18 chimney. C17 header-bond brickwork to
ground floor to W of chimney but C18 brick with blue headers and
Flemish-bond to E of chimney. 2 storeys lower W range has red brick
chequered with blue headers, floor band, and segmental arches to 3
flush 2-light casement windows on each floor, leaded above but cast-iron
lattices below. Interior has narrowed rear door to crosspassage, no
structural division of S service bay, S stair in original position,
chamfered doorway to hall, axial chamfered and stopped beam to floor
inserted in hall, wide fireplace with depressed 4-centred stone arch
with date on E spandrel, irregular studding in N wall, C17 oak mitred
panelling to parlour with arcaded panels over fireplace, ovolo moulded
N fireplace in parlour (stack formerly projected outside), stair
originally on W wall replaced by stair turret in early C17. Chamber over
parlour formerly plastered under collars, and hall roof little smoke-
blackened. Fireplace to chamber over hall scratched with 'James Partridge
174?'. Rear wing has smoke-blackened clasped-purlin roof of 2 bays and a
third W bay with floor lower than the inserted floor over the kitchen.
This has a chamfered cross-beam and elaborate hollow double stop with
nick. Plain small square flue to kitchen fireplace probably a replacement
for one on N wall. 4-centred fireplace with sunk spandrels in chamber
over S crosswing with 3-light diamond mullioned S window. RCHM suggest it
is a highly unusual house which may represent an hitherto unrecognised
type. (RCHM(1911)31 no. 3: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: SP9645612490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.