This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6547 / 51°39'16"N
Longitude: -0.3957 / 0°23'44"W
OS Eastings: 511076
OS Northings: 196316
OS Grid: TQ110963
Mapcode National: GBR 48.6XG
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.3N4W
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101120
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158142
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/01/2015
TQ 1196 SW 10/48
Church of St Mary
Flint and stone church mainly C15. Hertfordshire type broad west tower, 3 stages, diagonal buttresses, battlements, north-east stair turret and lead spirelet. Low, broad 6-bay nave with clerestory. Low pitch timber roof with arched braces on corbels. Octagonal piers. Aisles. Chancel mostly C15, chancel arch and piscina C13. C15 south chapel much altered 1871. 1597 north chapel with Tuscan column to chancel opening and mullion and transom east window. Six light chancel east window. Major restoration 1871, J T Christopher, architect: exterior refaced, battlements added to tower, south aisle walls rebuilt and new roofs to south aisle, south and north chapels. Ornate stone font carved by Forsyth and stone reredos carved by E Renversey. Pulpit of 1714 by R Bull, carved borders to panels. Stem cut down 1848. Outstanding monuments in north chancel chapel, notably 2 wall monuments by Nicholas Stone: Sir Charles Morison 1598 and opposite, his son, also Sir Charles 1628. Wall monument to Lady Dorothy Morison circa 1618. Later marble tablets of ,note to Anne Denne 1790, by J Golden, to Henry Ewer 1667 and to J Vernon. Mid C18. Brasses to Hugh de Holes and his wife, early C15 and to 3 Morison retainers, early C17. French or Flemish vestment cupboard circa 1730 with carved reliefs. Royal arms painted 1736. C18 finials to tower removed 1871. Modern church hall extension to south.
RCHM 139.2 Architect 21.10.1871 and 6.10.1883
Listing NGR: TQ1107696316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings