This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9527 / 51°57'9"N
Longitude: -0.0087 / 0°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 536938
OS Northings: 230112
OS Grid: TL369301
Mapcode National: GBR K8W.JMJ
Mapcode Global: VHGNX.S5QY
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew (Church of England)
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159732
Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Buntingford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 33 SE BUNTINGFORD THE CAUSEWAY
2/2 Church of St Bartholomew
(C of E)
Parish church of Layston parish, now used occasionally. Chancel
early C13, very thick nave walls suggest an early origin but C15
details, W tower and porch early C15. Chancel restored 1904 by A A
C Blomfield, tower in 1906. Flint rubble, with some Roman tiles
and blue brick parapet repairs on N side,of nave, stone
dressings, and roughcast _on N and E walls. Knapped flint used
for nave parapets and in flushwork chequered dado around tower
plinth. Steep old red tile chancel roof. Nave unroofed. A
good medieval parish church with long, square-ended chancel,
higher unaisled nave with diagonal buttresses, fine 3-stage
crenellated W tower with spike, and parapeted S porch. Chancel
has triplet of lancets at E with moulded string at sill level
inside on E and S walls. 2 blocked lancets in N wall. 2 lancets
in S wall with priest's door under western one, and a large 3-
light C15 traceried window. Chancel arch widened in late C15
with moulded 4-centred arch and shafted jambs. Now closed by tall
folding doors from the unroofed nave. C15 grotesque face as
bracket on S wall still with traces of paint. Aumbrey and
piscina with C13 rebated jambs and shouldered arches in E and S
walls. 3-bay oak arch-braced collar-truss roof with ridge,
purlins, ashlar pieces and wall posts on corbells, renewed by
Blomfield. Rectangular nave with 3 tall windows in each side,
blocked N door opposite S door, and openings of rood-loft stair
in NE corner. 3-light windows, with 2-light windows to W of
doors. Cinquefoil heads under four-centred arches and wide
casement mouldings to inner jambs. SW window of earlier date.
2-centred arched N doorway with moulded square label on inside.
Similar label to S doorway replaced by brick jambs. W tower has
diagonal buttresses, newel stair in SE angle, C15 tower arch of 3
moulded orders with shafted jambs. W door has moulded jambs and
pointed arch in a square head with traceried spandrels and label.
3-light C15 traceried W window. 2-light pointed bell chamber
openings with 4-centred traceried heads. Stoup to S of W door
with cinquefoil head. S porch has an original 4-centred stone
entrance archway with moulded jambs under a square head with
rose-in-quatrefoil spandrels. Niche over door and diagonal
buttresses. 2-light side windows. Moulded parapet all round.
Monuments collected in chancel: John Crouch d 1605, a splended
Derbyshire spar wall monument with paired Corinthian columns
flanking black marble centre, in alabaster egg and dart frame
under full entablature with raised central block with carved
achievement and 3 carved seated figures, the middle one flanked
by infants and holding a baby: Pike Crouch d1712 but monument
c1756 signed I Wilton, a Neo-Classical urn in aedicule with skull
in triangular pediment and impost with guttae all in white marble
on grey marble ground. Gadrooned bracket carries pedestal with
Greek key band and coat of arms in relief on base of urn.
Scrolled keystone to hemicycle top: Thomas Edridge d1745, a
marble oval plaque with fine lettering: and on S wall William
Slatholme d1665 doctor of physic, of marble with grey central
panel, recessed pilasters and full entablature with broken
pediment and central cartouche. C15 or C16 oak reading desk
carved with narrow cusped panels in 2 rows, the upper with narrow
crocketed finials rising from bottom row. Heavy curved
pomegranate scroll frieze and lozenge reticulation around top.
Broad front and. narrow returns. A medium sized medieval church
of exceptional interest for its C13 chancel, ornate tower and
monuments. (RCHM (1911) 138-9: VCH (1914) 85-6: Pevsner (1977)
223: Layston Parish Monthly Magazine July 1904).
Listing NGR: TL3693830112
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings