This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1536 / 51°9'12"N
Longitude: 1.3716 / 1°22'17"E
OS Eastings: 635877
OS Northings: 144772
OS Grid: TR358447
Mapcode National: GBR X2N.RKQ
Mapcode Global: VHLHC.Q8HJ
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178504
Location: St. Margaret's At Cliffe, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: St. Margaret's at Cliffe
Built-Up Area: St Margaret's at Cliffe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 SE ST MARGARET'S AT CLIFFE HIGH STREET
6/65 Church of
Parish church. Circa 1150 rebuilding of earlier building, with late C12
tower. Restored C18, and 1864 by Ewan Christian. Flint and rubble with
red brick dressings and slate roof, with plain tiled roof to south aisle.
Fragments of herringbone flint and flint quoins in chancel are remains of
earlier (Anglo-Saxon?) church; present church with chancel, nave and
aisles, north porch and western tower. Two stage tower, largely rebuilt,
dated in brick on large buttresses on south face E , with
battlements and weather vane. Western doorway with triangular gable, with
rings of carved voussoirs, with embattled moulding, nail head, rope,
intersecting arches, concentric circles, with triple arcaded seated
figures at springing and apex of arch, all crudely carved. Shafts with
scalloped capitals. Late C12 north doorway with zigzag and dogtooth
moulding and rope twist and stylised flowers. Double rebated with nook
shafts with scallops and carved heads. Clerestory set in shafted ashlar
arcading, irregularly spaced, with some paired arches and sub-arches.
Corbelled parapet. Plain lean-to aisles, fenestrated only in 1864.
Chancel with roll moulded C13 south door. Four round headed lancets on
each wall set on string course, with C19 corbel table and C19 east
window. Interior: large late C12 tower arch, double chamfered and
pointed, on round responds with water-holding bases and scalloped capitals.
Four bay arcades, alternating round and Composite piers, with zigzag order
and embattled surrounds on moulded abaci with scalloped capitals and
occasional carved head. Clerestory with no ornamental treatment. C19
trussed rafter roof. South aisle east window roll moulded C12, north
aisle east window with triple lancets, otherwise C19. Large chancel arch,
with double rebated arch on round responds with decorated capitals, with
zigzag moulded surround. Plain chancel with C19 east window and roof.
Fittings: round headed piscina. C19 chancel fittings and lecturn.
Piscina in south aisle. Simple octagonal font dated WA The
church was a possession of St. Martin's Priory, Dover, and rebuilt on
lavish scale c.1150 by that foundation. (see BOE Kent II, 435-6).
Listing NGR: TR3592844798
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings