History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Hertfordshire Masonic Lodge (The Cloisters)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9679 / 51°58'4"N

Longitude: -0.2249 / 0°13'29"W

OS Eastings: 522043

OS Northings: 231427

OS Grid: TL220314

Mapcode National: GBR J72.PXJ

Mapcode Global: VHGNM.1SYR

Entry Name: North Hertfordshire Masonic Lodge (The Cloisters)

Listing Date: 7 September 1979

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1102019

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161838

Location: North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG6

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Letchworth South West

Parish: Letchworth Garden City

Built-Up Area: Letchworth Garden City

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Letchworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Letchworth

Listing Text

BARRINGTON ROAD
1.
5255
North Hertfordshire
Masonic Lodge
(The Cloisters)
TL 23 SW 1/23
II*
2.
1906-7 by W H Cowlishaw. Built for Miss Annie Lawrence as a residential School
of Psychology. Later converted for use as a preparatory school, then a concert
hall. By 1948 it had become a masonic lodge. Romantic composition with an
octagonal, high tower and 2 open turrets with spiral staircases rising above
the cloister garth, an open semi-circular court, which was later roofed with
a rotunda when used as a concert hall. Other features originally included cubicles
for dressing purposes linked to an open swimming bath. Tiled roofs. Grey brick
with diaper work patterns and Purbeck stone dressings. The rich, symbolic carved
work (doves and bats for example) was mostly uncompleted before the building
project in its original form came to a halt in 1907. Interior of painted brick
with mass concrete vaulting. Windows of 2-light mullioned casement with leaded
lights, and arranged as enormous mullioned key windows around the central court.
Entrance in north-west corner approached by flights of steps leading to arched
portico. The cloister garth has an arcade with columns of Swedish green marble
and a central fountain in Art Nouveau style around the central support of the
tower. Modern additions to the rear.


Listing NGR: TL2204331427

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.