This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8919 / 51°53'30"N
Longitude: 0.0127 / 0°0'45"E
OS Eastings: 538601
OS Northings: 223399
OS Grid: TL386233
Mapcode National: GBR K9P.B1Y
Mapcode Global: VHHLL.5QL0
Entry Name: 24, High Street
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Last Amended: 23 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 161093
Location: Standon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Standon
Built-Up Area: Puckeridge
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Standon
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 38 23 STANDON HIGH STREET
(formerly listed as The
4.12.51 Old George Inn)
Inn, now a house. C16 or earlier, mid C19 Gothic front. Timber
frame roughcast, S gable of panelled fan pargetting, front of red
brick with diaper and chamfered white brick dressings and plinth,
half-timbered jettied part on right. Steep old red tile roofs.
Probably a large open-hall house in origin, with 2-storeyed
gabled crosswing at N, square rear kitchen block at SW and gabled
stair turret in the angle. High carriageway on N with a room
over, separately roofed but with a mock half-timbered C19 jettied
gable added on street front duplicating the original jettied
timbered gable of the crosswing. Picturesque irregular 2 storeys
and cellar street front on E, 5 windows long. On the left a 3
window part corresponding to the former hall with a heavy Tudor-
style door up 2 steps on the right of a central 2-storeyed
rectangular gabled bay window, with a further window beyond.
There is a higher-set window in the brick lower floor fronting
the crosswing with a flush cross-window in the jettied upper
floor with heavy moulded bargeboard to the red brick nogged
timber framed gable. This has heavy bull-nosed joist ends but
slighter joists were used when the Cl9 duplicated gable was built
alongside to the N. The main range has a wide-span clasped-
purlin roof replacing the original, with a long curved soot-
blackened timber incorporated. Clasped-purlin roof to kitchen
with a large gable chimney. Central chimney in the hall nearer N
end. Original framework of rear wall with heavy diamond shaped
mullioned 2-light window preserved in depth of structure.
Moulded timber corbel added to support axial beam in hall.
Formerly The Old George Inn. (RCHM (1911) 209).
Listing NGR: TL3860123399
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings