This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7451 / 51°44'42"N
Longitude: -0.3278 / 0°19'39"W
OS Eastings: 515547
OS Northings: 206480
OS Grid: TL155064
Mapcode National: GBR H8B.FZH
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.8DLJ
Entry Name: Old Station House
Listing Date: 22 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163526
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1
District: St. Albans
Town: St. Albans
Electoral Ward/Division: Sopwell
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Albans St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
ST ALBANS LONDON ROAD
Old Station House
Railway station, now dwelling. Built in 1865 for the Great Northern Railway, with extension
of circa 1905. Red brick and split flint work, the latter restricted to the ground floor. Tall ridge
and side wall brick chimneys with C20 clay pots, and a Welsh slated roof with deeply-
projecting eaves supported on wooden brackets. 'H' plan building, with later extension to left.
South-east elevation; 2 storeys, 5 bays, the 2 outer bays advanced and gabled, and linked by a
shallow canopy with a matchboarded eaves frieze. Ground floor of flint with brick dressings,
the central 3 bays beneath the canopy, with double doorway to left, and broad 2 over 2 pane
sash windows, the upper sashes with curved heads matching the segmental brick arches of the
window openings. Advanced bays with coupled narrow sashes to ground floor, and broad
tripartite sashes above, with plat band between. 4 sashes to first floor of recessed centre, with
wider openings to bays 2 and 4, and a coupled pair of narrow sashes to bay 3. Narrow windows
at first floor to inner cheeks of advanced bays. Shallow canopy projects from below first floor
cills. Single storeyed contemporary ranges to left and right, that to the left extended pre-1905.
Formerly the principal station of the Hatfield to St Albans line, and originally designed as a
terminus. The line closed in 1964. The station is believed to now be the oldest surviving Great
Northern station south of York.
Listing NGR: TL1554706480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings