This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7519 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -0.3427 / 0°20'33"W
OS Eastings: 514500
OS Northings: 207211
OS Grid: TL145072
Mapcode National: GBR H89.465
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.07PB
Entry Name: The Abbey National Boys' School
Listing Date: 27 August 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163458
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3
District: St. Albans
Town: St. Albans
Electoral Ward/Division: Verulam
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abbey Parish of St Albans
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1. (East Side)
The Abbey National
TL 1407 SW 8/301
TL 1407 SE 9/301
Right hand building: 1846, by professor Donaldson a founder of the RIBA.
2 storeys and attic, 5 windows. High pitched, slate roof with tall, central
gable holding one-light casement window, and 2 tall chimneys, each of
3 conjoined, square shafts, at one bay from each end. 4 steeply-gabled
dormers alternate with these featres. Walls red brick with diamond
pattern of blue headers, and brick plinth. Stone mullioned and transomed
windows with alternating block surrounds, 2-light in outer bays, 3-light
in 3 central bays. Segmental, brick relieving arches over 1st and ground
2nd section, built 1874, 2 storeys in similar style, red rick with similar
windows but tiled roof with one gable at left.
3rd section, built 1884, one storey and 2 gables with louvred openings,
again in red brick with similar windows and tiled roof.
Listing NGR: TL1450007211
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings