This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6639 / 51°39'50"N
Longitude: -0.3505 / 0°21'1"W
OS Eastings: 514178
OS Northings: 197411
OS Grid: TQ141974
Mapcode National: GBR 5X.SBD
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.WF1T
Entry Name: Delrow House
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164172
Location: Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25
Electoral Ward/Division: Bushey North
Built-Up Area: Bushey
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Aldenham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NW BUSHEY HILFIELD LANE
6/124 Delrow House
House, now in institutional use. Possibly earlier origins to house built
1669 for W. Hutchinson, date and initials on rainwater heads on rear
wing. Extended in C18. Entirely remodelled and extended c.1820-40 for
Sir A Dalrymple. Stuccoed brick. Tile and slate roofs. Originally a hall
with a cross wing to left. L plan survives with extensions. Loosely
Jacobethan Style. 2 storeys with attic in rear wing. Front: 4 windows
under 2 gables to left reflect earlier building. Steps up to entrance to
right in projecting 2-bay porch. Fielded panelled door in reveal,
moulded architrave, relief cherub and brackets to segmental pediment
with panelled soffit. Flanking tall sashes in reveals with egg and dart
architraves. Corner pilaster strips and cornice to porch. Ground
floor left, 2 smaller paired sashes in reveals. First floor glazing bar
sashes. Stucco scored to resemble ashlar. Plat band over first floor
with moulded lower course. Left gable slightly lower with moulded coped
parapet. Oculi in gables that to right blind. Cross axial stacks with
triple diagonally set shafts, moulded oversailing caps, decorative
terracotta pots. Taller C18 block to right: 2 gables, sashes, 1 blind
opening on 1st floor, 2 plat bands. Right return: ground floor
rectangular bay, 4-light ovolo moulded mullion and transom casement,
parapet. First floor: 3 sashes arranged in a pseudo Palladian manner
with a central relieving arch. Left return: 2 gables to main block,
scattered casements and blind windows. Rebuilt parlour wing to rear
left. Inner angle of L has an entrance. Rear left: C18 block, full
height projecting bay, ground floor 4-light casement, first floor
sashes. Main block: French windows, 2 gables. Rear right: 3 gables,
extending beyond parlour wing. 4 windows. 2-storey rectangular bay.
Sashes with segmental relieving arches. 2 bays to rear taller with
attic windows. Garden front to rear of this wing: 4 gables, 2 first
floor oriel windows. Interior: 2 mid C17 carved fireplaces, early C19
doorcases. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1417897411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings