This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7231 / 50°43'23"N
Longitude: -3.5292 / 3°31'45"W
OS Eastings: 292155
OS Northings: 92614
OS Grid: SX921926
Mapcode National: GBR P1.8SH7
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.GWN
Entry Name: Devon and Exeter Institution
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88917
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
No 7 (Devon and
SX 9292 NW 3/101 20.1.53
Town house of the Courtenays 1662-1813, when it was sold to D and E Institution.
Existing front was gatehouse, and is of Heavitree stone, altered circa 1814 to
form 2 storey 4 window front. Some of original openings are filled in with brickwork.
Upper part of wall has strip of modern half-timbering and painted sundial. Sash
windows with iron grilles to ground floor, and glazing bars. Good doorway under
elliptical arch with fanlight, side-lights, and reeded half- engaged columns, panelled
double doors. Hipped slate roof with cupola. Back of house is C16 or earlier,
and has part of large stone-mullioned window, also internally late CL6 plaster
ceiling, frieze and carved chimney-piece. Courtenay arms added 1662. Between this
part of the house and the front range two large libraries with top lights and galleries
were built in 1814, covering the open courtyard. (Cf. Foulston's Cottonian Library
at Plymouth for interior details.) AM.
All the listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9215592614
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings