This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8906 / 51°53'26"N
Longitude: -2.0712 / 2°4'16"W
OS Eastings: 395196
OS Northings: 221342
OS Grid: SO951213
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.K4M
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.1RW0
Entry Name: Pillar Box Outside Hammond Court
Listing Date: 6 July 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474572
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9521SW COLLEGE LAWN
630-1/24/292 (West side)
06/07/77 Pillar Box outside Hammond Court
(Hammond Court not included)
Pillar box. 1866-77. Cast-iron. Designed by JW Penfold. Made
by Cochrane Grove Company of Dudley. Hexagonal `Penfold'
letter box with elaborated leaf decorated crest and lettering
`VR'. Cheltenham has 8 of the surviving 94 Penfold-type
Victorian pillar boxes reputed to survive in the country,
others remain in Bayshill Road (qv), Duoro Road (qv), Evesham
Road (qv), Lansdown Road (qv), Montpellier Walk (qv),
Pittville Circus Road (qv) and St Paul's Road (qv).
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 99; Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork:
Cheltenham: 1975-1984: 68-9).
Listing NGR: SO9519621341
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings