This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9046 / 51°54'16"N
Longitude: -2.0705 / 2°4'13"W
OS Eastings: 395244
OS Northings: 222899
OS Grid: SO952228
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.KBS
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.2D78
Entry Name: Numbers 1 to 11 and Attached Railings to Numbers 3 to 11
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474604
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Pittville
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9522NW EVESHAM ROAD
630-1/10/309 (East side)
12/03/55 Nos.1-11 (Odd)
and attached railings to Nos.3-11
Terrace of 5 houses and detached house (No.1), now flats, and
attached railings. Numbered right to left, described left to
right. 1834-7. Brick with stucco front facades and slate
roofs, tall brick party-wall stacks with cornices; iron
railings and balconies.
PLAN: almost symmetrical design over terrace and house with
'central' pedimented breakforward (No.5); left entrances to
terrace, and 2-storey service ranges to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 20 first-floor windows
altogether (3 per terraced house and 5 to detached).
Breakforwards to Nos 5 and 7. Stucco detailing includes
horizontal rustication to ground floor, drawn into voussoirs
above windows; breakforward has 2 central giant fluted Ionic
columns through first and second floors and 2 outer engaged
Doric pillars; otherwise each house to either side has Doric
pilasters between windows through first and second floors;
No.1 has Doric pilasters through first and second floors;
crowning architrave, frieze, dentil cornice and pediment
throughout; No.1 has tooled architraves to first- and
second-floor windows with cornices. Mainly 6/6 sashes and some
2/2 horizontal-pane sashes (where original), taller to first
floor, all in plain reveals, those to No.11 have ground-floor
blind boxes. Entrances: flights of roll-edged steps to 3- and
4-panel doors (some part-glazed) with overlights with glazing
bars and margin-lights; No.1 has similar central entrance in
tooled architrave with Doric porch. 3-window return to right
has similar stucco detailing. Rear retains 6/6 sashes, some
INTERIOR: retain original joinery and plasterwork including to
No.3: hall with acanthus modillions and fleurons to cornice
and egg-and-dart frieze; narrow open-well staircase with iron
alternate rod and embellished balusters, wreathed handrail;
tiled hall floor. Otherwise not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: spearheaded railings to sides of steps;
railings with stick balusters between Nos 3 and 5; area
railings have scrolled lozenge motif; first-floor balconies
have X-and-quatrefoil motif, balconies are continuous to each
house, except those to No.7 are individual; 2 similar
individual balconies to first floor of right return. No.1 has
individual window guards to first floor with concentric circle
motif and spearhead area railings. No.7 retains first-floor
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally named Caledonia Terrace and then
(1841) Blenheim Parade. Built as part of the development of
the area undertaken for Joseph Pitt in 1825-42.
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 68).
Listing NGR: SO9523722887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings