History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marys Cemetery Chapel (St Marys Mission)

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9045 / 51°54'16"N

Longitude: -2.0842 / 2°5'3"W

OS Eastings: 394300

OS Northings: 222888

OS Grid: SO943228

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.FW8

Mapcode Global: VH947.TDHC

Entry Name: St Marys Cemetery Chapel (St Marys Mission)

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104365

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474793

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422NW HIGH STREET
630-1/8/416 (South West side)
12/03/55 St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (St Mary's
Mission)

GV II

Burial chapel, now gymnasium. 1831 with later addition to
right. Architect: C Paul of Rowland Paul and Sons, Cheltenham.
Builders George Wood and Thomas Newton. Cost ยป600. Ashlar over
brick with concealed roof and right end brick stack. Greek
Revival style.
EXTERIOR: single tall storey, with single low-storey range to
right. Central panelled door with slightly 'battered'
architrave with sloping sides, and projecting porch with 2
fluted Doric columns in antis. Frieze with wreaths; continuous
cornice and blocking course. Rear facade has end pilasters
central entrance in breakforward between round-arched
multi-paned windows with radial glazing to heads in plain
reveals and with architrave and sills. Frieze, cornice and
blocking course.
INTERIOR: retains original features: deep coving and dado
rail. reputed to have vaulted brick cellars to original part.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the chapel to the 'New Burying
Ground' when the St Mary's Parish Churchyard became too
crowded.
(Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883:
Cheltenham: 1979-: 21-2; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide:
Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 91-92).


Listing NGR: SO9429622889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.