History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates Piers and Wall to St Marys Cemetery Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N

Longitude: -2.0838 / 2°5'1"W

OS Eastings: 394332

OS Northings: 222937

OS Grid: SO943229

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.G0T

Mapcode Global: VH947.TDR0

Entry Name: Gates Piers and Wall to St Marys Cemetery Chapel

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104369

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474797

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text

SO9422NW
630-1/8/417
05/05/72


CHELTENHAM
HIGH STREET(South side)Gates, piers and wall to St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (Formerly Listed as:HIGH STREET(South side)Entrance gates to drive of St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (Now Churchill Gardens)

GII
Also known as:Entrance gates and walls of Winston Churchill Memorial Garden HIGH STREET.Gates,gate piers,wall,end piers and wall to drive.C1831.Pinkish-brown brick walls ashlar coping and stuccoed piers;ornamental iron gates by Thomas Letheren (replaced those by RE Marshall of Cheltenham).Gates have bars and scroll-headed dog-bars;central upper panel of scroll-motif and surmounting floral scroll,between ornamental iron piers.Coped walls adjoining are approx one and a half metres long and two metres high extend to tall piers,square on plan with moulded capping. Coped walls to drive are ramped down from piers and extend for approx fourty-five metres and are two metres high.HISTORICAL NOTE: The New Burying Ground was acquired in 1830 owing to over-crowding in the churchyard of St Mary's Church,Church Street (qv). Letheren's gates were originally at the entrance to Cypher's Nursery Gardens on Queen's Road and replaced those by Marshall after WWII.A significant streetscape feature,forming an integral part of the setting of St Mary's Cemetery Chapel (qv).(Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide:Cheltenham: 1850-1969:92;Chatwin A:Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork:1975-:78).


Listing NGR: SO9433222937

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.