This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1644 / 51°9'51"N
Longitude: -4.6647 / 4°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 213784
OS Northings: 143951
OS Grid: SS137439
Mapcode National: GBR GTVM.41B
Mapcode Global: VH2S4.3Z9Q
Entry Name: Church of St Helena
Listing Date: 20 July 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104955
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91976
Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39
Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lundy
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS14SW Church of St Helena
GV II -
Parish-church. 1896 by J. Norton for H.G. Heaven, the owner of
Lundy Island. Granite ashlar. Slate roofs with crested
ridge tiles and stone coped gable ends.
Plan: Nave with porch under tower of west end of north side
of nave, chancel with transept vestry on north side. NW - SE
orientation. Victorian Gothic Early English.
Exterior: Nave has 2-light plate tracery windows on north and
south sides and 2 lancet west window with rose window above,
its tracery blocked off. Transept vestry has 2-light window
in gable and with plate tracery and lean-to porch in north
east angle with shouldered head doorway. Large 3-stage
unbuttressed north west tower with battlements, square stair
turret with battlements in angle with nave, gargoyles at
corners and large 2-light lancet bell-openings with trefoil
heads and slate louvres. Clock face at first stage above
niche containing figure of St Helena which is above the
deeply chamfered 2-centred arch doorway to the porch, with
wooden gates; the inner doorway has arch of 4 arches.
Interior: Polychrome brick walls, red brick with black and
white bands and diapering. Moulded stone chancel arch with
dogtooth decoration and colonnettes on corbels supporting the
capitals. Boarded roof, the principals on stone corbles.
Furnishings by Hermes of Exeter. Reredos with 3 cusped
arched on Purbeck marble colonnettes and with alabaster
carving, the centre depicts the Last Supper. Piscina and
sedilia. Altar rail with wrought iron standards. Low stone
screen, carved stone pulpit and square font. The benches are
complete including choir stalls. Carved wooden eagle lectern.
Organ on south side of chancel. Circa late C19 stained glass
east window, the tracery missing and stained glass in rose
window at west end, one was designed and donated by Rev. H.
Fleming St. John. Ornate wrought-iron lamp brackets on north
and wouth walls of nave. Five bells from tower, now in
porch, dated 1897. (Buildings of England:Pevsner N and Cherry
B:Devon:542 - 543; A and M Langham:Lundy:l10 - 111).
Listing NGR: SS1378443951
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings