This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7225 / 50°43'20"N
Longitude: -1.8837 / 1°53'1"W
OS Eastings: 408304
OS Northings: 91436
OS Grid: SZ083914
Mapcode National: GBR X6K.6T
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.FZ4
Entry Name: Royal National Hospital and Chest Clinic
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101842
Location: Bournemouth, BH2
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
5186 ST STEPHEN'S ROAD
Royal National Hospital and
SZ 0891 13/125 1.8.74.
1855, E B Lamb, as Royal National Sanatorium for Diseases of the Chest.
Powerful style typical of Lamb, rustic Italianate with echoes of Vanbrugh. Coursed
Purbeck rubble, stone dressings with strongly marked tooling, sometimes vermiculated.
South front 2 storeys, asymmetrical, with hipped slate roof. Recessed centre,
3 windows wide, with later iron verandahs, between 2-storey canted bay to west
and 2-storey square bay under high chateau roof to east. Windows all have segmental
heads with big keystones and monstrously big bracketed 'shoulder stones', which
sit on vestigial block capitals. Blocky stringcourses at 3 different levels.
Spandrels below sills recessed, with projecting stone panels. Square bay windows
tripartite, with mullions on big bases and plinth, shoulder brackets forming
tulip-shaped capitals. Eaves cornice with big brackets (removed from canted
bay and centre); chimneys of Italianate type, coupled, on high bases, with stepped-out
capping and pyramidal top to stacks. Similar wing to west added 1803, 3 windows
wide. Further western extension circa 1880, said to be by Sir Arthur Blomfield,
with regular segment-headed 1st floor windows (tripartite in projecting end pavilion );
wings to north of 2 storeys and 4 storeys, hipped roofs. Lamb's north front,
much altered and extended, preserves original entrance front, 3 windows wide,
with 4th window bay projecting, same detailing. Projecting kitchen and service
wing of irregular composition: doorway with segmental head (keystone and shoulder
stones) on brackets and chamfered jambs, 1st floor pair of segmental windows
gathered under very wide segmental arch (quasi-lunette).
Listing NGR: SZ0830491436
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings